FUE is an acronym for Follicular Unit Extraction, a type of hair transplant that extracts complete and healthy hair follicles from a chosen donor site on your head, and then replants those follicles in areas of the scalp that have an inadequate amount of hair, resulting in patchy or bald spots.
What is FUE?
FUE in NYC is a popular option for hair replacement because it’s relatively fast, safe, and leaves no unsightly linear scars. FUE does not remove a swath or patch of skin at all but, instead, carefully extracts healthy individual follicles using a circular suction device that is one millimeter wide. Any side effects are temporary, and patients undergoing most FUE forms can return immediately to their social and professional activities.
Step by Step: FUE in Action
- A donor site of healthy hair follicles is selected. This is usually on the back of the head, but may be on the side.
- The area is shaved (not made bald) so the hair rises just a bit above the level of the scalp.
- Using a special micropunch tool, hair follicles are extracted from the donor site. Sufficient healthy hair follicles are also left in the donor site so it isn’t impacted by the procedure. The donor site will also grow back fully and naturally.
- The follicles are stored throughout the extraction process
- Fine holes are made in the scalp at the area(s) needing additional hair.
- One by one, the healthy hair follicles are implanted into these holes.
- The donor site is cleaned.
- Your hair begins to grow back naturally. The donor site returns to its original state of healthy and voluminous hair, and hair at the new treatment site takes root and grows.
What does FUE treat?
FUE is an effective treatment option for hair loss, male pattern baldness, and patchy or inadequate hair coverage on the scalp.
What is recovery like after FUE?
Following follicular unit extraction, recovery is straightforward and uncomplicated. You will not have to interrupt or change your daily routine very much postoperatively. You’ll return home right after the procedure, but should not immerse your head in water, get your wet, or do any strenuous exercise for 1 to 2 weeks.
How much does FUE cost in NYC?
The cost of FUE varies from person to person, as the number of follicles to be extracted and reinserted also varies widely. Some practices charge a set cost per follicle extracted while others provide a lump sum cost for the whole process. In your personal consultation, we’ll be able to provide you with an exact cost to meet your needs and goals for the procedure.
Making the most of FUE Hair Transplantation
- Don’t shower or wash your hair for at least 3 days
- When you do start showering again, be gentle and use a simple shampoo
- Don’t use a comb or brush on your new hair for 3 to 4 weeks
- Do not use hats, caps, or beanies for 3 to 4 weeks
- Refrain from strenuous exercise or physical activity for 3 to 4 weeks
What risks are involved with FUE?
Risks involved with FUE are rare and can usually be entirely mitigated by seeing only a professional who is well versed and very knowledgeable in FUE. The procedure has a steep learning curve and should be carried out only by an experienced professional. Potential risks include infection, temporary pain, redness and swelling at donor sites, loss of some transplanted follicles.