What is Hair Restoration?
Whether due to the natural course of aging, genetic predisposition, medical reasons or other factors, when a person experiences unexpected hair loss and excessive hair thinning, they have a variety of advanced and minimally-invasive hair restoration options.
Preeminent M.D., Master of Science, and Fellow of the American College of Surgeons, Dr. Kaveh Alizadeh, offers three of the most effective hair restoration treatments available to patients of all ages in New York:
- PRP & PRF Hair Restoration (Platelet Rich Plasma, and Platelet Rich Fibrin respectively)
- NeoGraft semi-automated hair transplantation
- FUE, or follicular unit extraction
Each of these regenerative options are best-suited to patients experiencing various degrees of severity in hair thinning and loss, so Dr. Alizadeh carefully adapts these techniques to effectively address your condition and cosmetic concerns.
- PRP Hair Restoration
PRP, or “platelet rich plasma” hair restoration uses a substance created from your own blood to stimulate your existing hair follicles to produce healthier and thicker hair. PRP has been used for over twenty years to speed wound healing.
- NeoGraft Semi-Automated Hair Transplantation
NeoGraft is a trademarked form of follicular unit extraction that harvests a number of healthy hair follicles from a donor site or sites, and places these full follicular units in the bald or thinning areas where they repopulate.
- FUE / Follicular Unit Extraction
FUE is an ideal hair restoration treatment for many patients as it’s rapid, safe, and effective. Due to the way it harvests follicles—individually and requiring no removal of skin from the scalp—it leaves no linear scars. With FUE, Dr. Alizadeh extracts thriving follicles with a special suction device, to use them in areas in need of more hair.
Why is Hair Restoration needed?
Genetics, diet, the natural process of aging, and various medical conditions can play a role in whether a person will ever experience thinning hair or bald patches. By age 35, some 66 percent of men will experience at least some degree of hair loss. In many cases, this thinning and loss isn’t obvious, but for those for whom it is, PRP and PRF, NeoGraft, and FUE are often the best treatment options.
PRP/PRF Hair Restoration
For patients who don’t wish to undergo a complete hair transplant procedure, as well as those experiencing the early stages of thinning, PRP hair restoration is an effective regenerative therapy. As we age, the quality of hair produced by the hair follicles can diminish, with strands becoming finer and thinner. Aging hair follicles stop producing thick, healthy hair, or eventually, any hair at all–but they are still present in the scalp. PRP hair restoration is geared towards regenerating existing hair follicles, allowing them to produce thicker, healthier strands.
How it works
PRP/PRF contains regenerative growth factors. These are fully biocompatible and in fact are harvested directly from your own blood. Drawn from your body and placed in a centrifuge, PRP and PRF are isolated from the remaining components of blood, creating a concentrated natural solution. The platelets in PRP stimulate stem cells within the hair follicle. The growth factors trigger healthy cell growth, and patients who have regular hair restoration with PRP/PRF report very positive results.
For patients who have had hair transplants, PRP helps the newly transplanted follicles become healthy, productive, and thriving. Done three or four times annually, PRP/PRF hair restoration produces impressive results.
- Blood is drawn at our office, just like any other blood draw in a medical office
- The PRP is extracted with the use of a centrifuge
- An anesthetic is used to numb the area of the scalp to be treated
- PRP is injected into the target area
- Your hair and scalp are washed
- You can return to your routine activities, with no restrictions or downtime.
- Fully biocompatible
- Reduces hair loss
- Increases the diameter of existing hair
- Improves the density of hair growth
- Less involved than FUE hair restoration
- Improvement in hair growth, quality, and quantity are typically seen in 2 to 6 months
Treatments occur every 6 weeks throughout the initial phase, and twice-yearly thereafter. As each patient has a unique physiology and response to PRP, we monitor progress carefully and adjust treatment schedules as needed.
NeoGraft Hair Restoration
NeoGraft is a semi-automated system that harvests hair follicles one at a time using the follicular unit extraction (FUE) method. NeoGraft’s speed, precision, innocuousness towards the follicular unit, minimal scarring, and the fact that it is the least invasive of all hair transplants and remarkably pain free make it one of the most ideal hair transplant procedures.
NeoGraft restores your hair’s thickness and shin and gives you the freedom to do all the activities you once loved. The results of the NeoGraft procedure are so seamless and realistic that friends, family, and colleagues find it nearly impossible to discern between the treated part of your hair and the real hair line.
How it works
NeoGraft is a semi-automated hair restoration system under the control of your doctor at all times. Healthy hair follicles are harvested from pre-selected donor sites where hair is thriving and copious. When a sufficient amount of hair follicles have been harvested, they are then implanted at those areas of the head requiring additional hair to treat thinning or baldness. Significant growth is seen 6 months after the procedure, with a full head of hair usually achieved in 12 months.
- Least invasive of available hair transplant procedures
- Seamless integration with existing hair
- Minimal bleeding
- Very few potential complications
- Performed under local anesthesia
- Produces only minimal discomfort
- Requires no scalpel incisions or sutures
- Leaves no linear scarring
- Rapid recovery
- Topical anesthetic is applied. You’ll feel only pressure and no pain.
- NeoGraft automated machine pneumatically harvests healthy hair follicles from donor sites
- Recipient sites are outlined with respect to the size, orientation and angle of existing natural hair in the area
- The harvested grafts are separated and individually transplanted to the treatment sites
- Recovery begins, with patients able to perform most routine activities, sans direct sun exposure, and wearing a hat, and a detailed guide given on how to wash the hair and how to sleep for the next 7 days.
Most NeoGraft patients typically require 1 or 2 treatment sessions. How many treatment sessions you might need will depend upon the size and the condition of the area you wish to restore hair to. A small balding patch can be addressed in a single treatment, while a nearly full head of hair will naturally require more time and treatments. Within 3 months, the hair growth will have started to come in and by 6 months, substantial growth is evident. Full results are achieved in 12 months.
FUE Hair Restoration
FUE, or Follicular Unit Extraction or follicular transfer, is popular for its speed, safety and effectiveness. This is often an excellent treatment of choice for male pattern baldness, as well as spots of patchy of excessing thinning hair. While NeoGraft technically falls into the same class as FUE, it’s considered a superior (and pricier) option as it uses a semi-automatic extraction and implant system. Conversely, because FUE is performed by hand and involves the careful assessment and individual placement of follicles by a live human, FUE has definite advantages.
The outcome of FUE depends on the skill, familiarity and dexterity of the performing doctor or surgeon. Dr. Alizadeh is known for FUE hair restoration that looks natural, that integrates well with existing surrounding hair, and for his high rate of survival in transplanted follicles.
How it works
Much like NeoGraft, FUE works by extracting healthy hair follicles from where they’re abundant and growing well, and places them in areas of the head where hair is insufficient or missing entirely. FUE varies from NeoGraft in that while NeoGraft is automated and can harvest and then implant a large number of new hair follicles, FUE performed by hand is often better suited to treating certain common conditions of hair loss and thinning, and for producing great outcomes. A well-done FUE treatment will appear naturally, as if each hair has been selected and placed exactly, since that is exactly what occurs.
- Minimally invasive
- Invisible scarring
- Removes only the required amount of hair
- Creates constant, natural hair growth
- Uses multiple donor sites
- Simple postoperative care
- Hair growth produced looks and is natural
- Healthy donor sites are selected for the required follicles
- These areas are shaved (but not made bald) allowing for the extraction of follicles
- Follicles in this area are harvested individually, one by one.
- Enough follicles are also left behind in donor sites, so hair returns there in full
- Holes are made in those parts of the scalp requiring the new hair
- Follicles are implanted in the holes
- Your hair grows back naturally, with donor sites returning to their original states and new hair taking root in treatment areas.
Because FUE is a very patient-tailored treatment, the number of sessions required varies greatly. Treating a small to medium sized area can be done in a single session, while larger areas may require several sessions. Multiple 2 to 4 hour long sessions are usually done over several days, or a very large session can be done in one go for 10 to 12 hours.
Dr. Kaveh Alizadeh: New York Hair Restoration Specialist
When you enter our offices, you enter an environment focused on every aspect of YOU. While the surgical outcome is the priority, we also ensure your entire life is conducive to every aspect of your journey. At our practice, we adhere to a set of core values that are designed to produce a smooth experience, a stunning outcome, and a happy patient. Such values include our commitment to innovation, total honesty with our patients, and being open and inclusive. Please see our Mission Statement for more information.
Our Founder and Medical Director, Dr. Kaveh Alizadeh, has an illustrious academic background—he earned his MD from Cornell University, completed his surgical residency at the University of Chicago, and underwent subspecialty training in cosmetic surgery, microsurgery, and breast reconstruction at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York.
In addition to his impressive background, Dr. Alizadeh is also a philanthropist. He established Mission: Restore in 2010, a non-profit organization dedicated to providing transformative surgery to those in need. In everything Dr. Alizadeh touches, you can be assured he works with the utmost care and responsibility, helping every patient achieve the desired outcome.
Schedule a hair restoration consultation
If your hair is showing signs of thinning or receding, schedule a consultation with Dr. Alizadeh for Hair Restoration in New York. Request your appointment online, or call (212) 348-0100 (Manhattan/Westchester) or (516) 439-5010 (Long Island)