Breast Lift Recovery Time
Also known as a mastopexy, a breast lift is a plastic surgery procedure for raising sagging breasts. Significant body changes and loss of elasticity can cause the breasts to lose their firmness and volume. By removing excess skin and tightening the surrounding tissue, a breast lift can rejuvenate your figure with a breast profile that is more youthful and uplifted. If the areola has enlarged over time, a breast lift will reduce this as well.
One of the defining benefits of a breast lift is the recovery time, generally just six weeks.
Breast lift recovery lasts six weeks
Most women feel well enough to return to work after two weeks, with the majority of their swelling resolving in three to six weeks.
However, you must refrain from strenuous physical activity and adhere to Dr. Alizadeh’s postoperative guidelines for the duration of the recovery period. These instructions include:
- Getting plenty of rest
- Avoiding heavy lifting
- Wearing supportive medical undergarments
- Taking any prescribed medications
- Attending all scheduled follow-up appointments
You should see the full results of your procedure and recovery in six to twelve weeks.
Recovery immediately following surgery
The breast lift procedure takes between one and three hours to perform. After two to three hours in our upscale recovery suite, you may return home.
While resting is imperative to recovery, bed rest is not necessary; we prefer that you move around some, such as light walking.
You can eat anything you want right after surgery, and you may shower the day aftert. A breast lift requires little wound care, making recovery manageable and comfortable.
Recovery for up to three weeks post-op
Breast lift incision dressing will be removed approximately ten days after surgery. Additionally, there are usually only one or two sutures that need to be removed. Because the rest are buried under the skin, they will eventually dissolve.
You’ll wear a surgical bra around the clock for approximately four weeks, but there are no other restrictions after three weeks post-op.
Tips for breast lift recovery
Caring for yourself during recovery can help ensure you get the best possible results from your breast lift. Here are some tips for breast lift recovery:
1. Be vigilant about wearing your surgical bra. The garment supports the healing breasts in a natural way, especially when a breast implant is paired with the lift. After six weeks you can wear an underwire bra if you like.
2. During the four to six-week period of no heavy lifting or strenuous activity, have someone help you around the house and at work as much as possible. They should assist with physical tasks such as chores, lifting children and pets, etc. until the two-week point when light lifting is allowed.
3. Avoid having any kind of added pressure on your chest, including sleeping on your stomach. After six weeks you can return to sleeping face down.
4. The first few days are generally the most difficult because you will experience some pain and discomfort. Being mentally prepared for this ahead of time can make your recovery period much easier and more comfortable.
5. Relax and avoid unnecessary movements while recovering. When you’re not sleeping, spend most of your time in a beach chair position such as on the couch watching TV.
6. Moving your feet up and down like pressing on the gas pedal in the car will assist in maintaining lower body circulation.
7. Track any unusual changes to report to Dr. Alizadeh and his staff.
8. Be prepared that it can take several months for the signs of your surgery to become less noticeable, such as scarring. Inform Dr. Alizadeh if you are susceptible to developing irregular scars, so he can discuss your medical options with you.
9. After your breast lift you may experience anesthesia-related issues, such as nausea. Discuss your concerns with Dr. Alizadeh prior to surgery so he can advise on how to alleviate such symptoms for an easier recovery.
Dr. Alizadeh's NaturaBra technique improves breast lift recovery and results
After years of experience performing traditional breast lifts, board-certified New York City plastic surgeon, Dr. Alizadeh, developed an improvement. This upgraded procedure, called the NaturaBra™ surgical technique, minimizes scarring for easier recovery while maximizing the effect and lasting power of the results.
The procedure creates internal support using your body’s tissue to create an inner bra, giving the breasts a more youthful, lifted appearance that truly lasts. If you have noticed the following, you may be a candidate for the NaturaBra™ breast lift:
- Your breasts have flattened or look elongated
- Your nipples and areolas point downward
- Your nipples sit below the crease under your breast
- The skin on your breasts is stretched out
- Your breasts are uneven, with one sitting lower than the other
Dr. Alizadeh spent years in the laboratory perfecting the procedure before introducing it in 2004 at the Northeastern Society of Plastic Surgeons, followed by the Plastic Surgery Research Council, and then a 5-year follow-up report at the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons.
The NaturaBra™ technique involves:
- Making short incisions from each nipple to the breast crease
- Creating a triangular flap of skin on each breast which remains attached to an essential blood supply
- Carefully rotating and placing the flap inside the breast to form a natural inner bra
- Anchoring the inner bra to the rib cage for stability and longevity
- Closing the incisions with absorbable sutures
Dr. Alizadeh's NaturaBra™ technique reduces the need for an extra incision on the breast, which is why many of our satisfied patients call it the most natural and nearly scarless breast lift.
Choose Dr. Alizadeh for breast lift recovery ease
Dr. Kaveh Alizadeh is a board-certified, fellowship-trained, double Ivy-league alumnus with over 20 years of experience and expertise. He is the Founder and Medical Director of Cosmoplastic Surgery, the Chief of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery at Westchester Medical Center, and an Associate Professor of Surgery at New York Medical College.
Dr. Alizadeh will perform your lift at our private, state-of-the-art, AAAASF-certified surgical center (American Association for Accreditation of Ambulatory Surgery Facilities). His dedicated surgical team has operated with him exclusively for years, giving you peace of mind that they are supremely qualified.
His breakthrough NaturaBra™ Breast Lift technique puts Dr. Alizadeh at the forefront of breast lift procedures. He teaches this procedure to other breast lift surgeons, allowing this long-term, highly effective solution to help women beyond his own New York City plastic surgery practice. After your operations, we stay connected and in touch and may even make house calls to ensure that your recovery environment optimizes your healing process.
These astounding qualifications, paired with our team’s caring demeanor and devotion, are why you should choose Dr. Alizadeh and Cosmoplastic Surgery for your breast lift.